When it comes to selecting the next book to read, I tend to rely on my emotions more than the order with which I had previously decided to tackle my TBR with.
Which leads me to this month's currently-reading slate:
1. Becoming by Michelle Obama
I've always admired Michelle Obama's eloquence for the spoken word. She can touch anyone's heart and mind with her speeches (mine included), and I'm in awe of that kind of power. When I found out that she had a book published this year, I just had to read it. And that's what I'm doing right now. The desire to read this from page to page stems from my admiration for her, and here's what I have to say so far: Her narrative voice is spectacular, her story fascinating, and her way with words engrossing!
2. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
I had been reading Nabokov's Lolita when I spotted this on my shelf. Was it the cover or the premise that drew me to the book? I'm not too sure. Probably the fact that George RR Martin has a blurb at the back of this book, hehe. But there was truly something about this book that just captivated me, so I abandoned Humbert Humbert's unsettling narrative and opted instead to dive into St. John Mandel's post-apocalyptic world. Unlike the usual linear end-of-the-world story, Station Eleven jumps back and forth in time. I'm not quite sure yet if I like it (because it's a bit too slow for me), and I'm sure there's a reason why it was written this way but for now, I'm in the dark.
As of now, I need to read eight books to complete my reading challenge this year, but I don't think I can. And I don't want to pressure myself into going through that many books without slowing a bit to enjoy the plot. So, yeah, already a failure but it's okay. Right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment